New Delhi, dated the 11th November 2010
Subject: SENIORITY – Consolidated orders on…
The undersigned is directed to say that instructions have been issued by this Department from time to time laying down the principles for determining seniority of persons appointed to services and posts under the Central Government. For facility of reference, the contents of the important orders on the subject have been consolidated as a compilation “Instructions and Guidelines on Seniority”. The number and date of the original O.M.’ has been referred in the relevant instructions* for easy reference to the context. The consolidated instructions include revised instructions on the following:
i. Seniority of persons appointed on direct recruitment from the reserved panel at a later date, specifically when the officers from the subsequent selection panel have already joined.
ii. Inter-se seniority of two panels of direct recruits, where more than one selection panel are received from UPSC/SSC through letter of same date.
iii. Fixation of seniority of a person who has been transferred to a lower post under FR 15-A.
iv. Seniority in case of appointment on compassionate grounds
2. Also, certain areas within the existing instructions, which require frequent clarifications, as is evident from the references received from various Ministries/Departments,have also been incorporated under the head “clarification”, for reference. This may be brought to the notice of all concerned for information, guidance and necessary action.
3. The consolidated instructions along with Annexure containing O.M.’sreferred will be issued separately in the form of handbook.
4. Hindi version will follow.
* Instructions & guidelines on Senioirty along with Annexure is available at
Download the complete PDF file
SENIORITY OF DIRECT RECRUITS AND PROMOTEES
2.1. SENIORITY OF DIRECT RECRUITS
2.1.1 Clarification : Appointment from the Reserve panel at a later date:
2.1.2 Clarification In case if more than one-selection panels received from
2.2. SENIORITY OF PROMOTEES
2.3 Seniority of SC/ST Government servants on their promotion by virtue of
RELATIVE SENIORITY OF DIRECT RECRUITS AND PROMOTEES
2.4.3 Starting point in the recruitment roster for the purpose of interse
3. SENIORITY OF ABSORBEES
4. SENIORITY IN SPECIAL TYPES OF CASES
4.2.1 Seniority of an officer under suspension and of officers against whom
4.2.2 Seniority of officers who have been recommended for promotion by a
4.2.3 Fixation of seniority of a Government servant reverted to a lower
4.4 Seniority in cases of delay in reporting for duty after selection