Government of India
Ministry of Finance
Department of Expenditure
New Delhi, the 29th August, 2008.
Subject: Grant of Hard Area Allowance to the central Government employees posted in the Nicobar group of Islands and Minicoy in Lakshadweep Islands — Recommendations of Sixth Central Pay Commission.
The undersigned is directed to say that Hard Area allowance was granted to Central Govt. employees posted in Nicohar Group of Islands @25% of basic pay w.e.f. I.4.2004 vide O.M. No.12(I)E.II(B)/2003 dated
2. Based on the recommendations of Sixth Central Pay Commission as accepted by the Government, the President is pleased to decide that all the Central Government employees posted in Nicobar Group of Islands and in Minicoy in Lakshadweep shall be paid Hard Area Allowance @25% of (basic pay + NPA, where applicable).
3. The term “basic pay” in the revised pay structure means the pay drawn in the prescribed pay band plus the applicable grade pay but does not include any other type of pay like special pay, etc. In the case of Government servants in the pay scales of HAG+and above, basic pay means the pay in the prescribed scale.
4. In addition to Hard Area Allowance, the Island Special Duty Allowance shall also be admissible.
5. In respect of those employees who opt to continue in their pre-revised scale of pay, the pay for the purpose of these orders shall also include, in addition to the basic pay in the applicable pre-revised scales. Stagnation Increment(s). Dearness Pay and Non-Practising Allowance as per orders in force on I. 1.2006.
6. These orders shall take effect from September 1, 2008.
7. These orders shall also apply to the civilian employees paid from the Defence Service Estimates and the expenditure will be chargeable to the relevant Head of the Defence Services Estimates. In regard to Armed Forces personnel and Railway employees, separate orders will he issued by the Ministry of Defence and Ministry of Railways, respectively.
8. In so far as the persons serving in the Indian Audit and Accounts Departments are concerned, these orders issue in consultation with Comptroller & Auditor General of India.
9. Hindi version will follow.
(Madhulika P. Sukul)
Joint Secretary to the Government ot India
Source : www.finmin.gov.in